Spring 2013: January 7 – May 13, 2013
Application Period: Now – December 1, 2012
Summer 2013: Session I: 5/28 – 7/5/13, Session II: 7/8 – 8/15/13
Application Period: December 1, 2012 to May 6, 2013
Fall 2013: August 26 – December 20, 2013
Application Period: December 1, 2012 – July 15, 2013
AT A GLANCE
- PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
- APPRENTICESHIP & NON-CREDIT PROGRAM
- HOUSING INFORMATION
- APPLYING AND REQUIREMENTS
- COST of ATTENDANCE
- ADVISING APPOINTMENT
Thank you for your interest in our program. Highlights of our program include:
- Awarding of over $70,000.00 in departmental culinary student scholarships each year
- Internship opportunities locally, nationally, and internationally
- Industry-trained chef instructors, provide quality training in hands-on culinary laboratories
- Networking opportunities with industry restaurants and hotels
- Students receive leads to jobs and culinary-related opportunities, campus Job Placement office
- 2009 National Champions – American Culinary Federation (ACF) competition team
We look forward to welcoming you to our campus soon. Please access campus information at:
- Application & Admission Information http://kcc.hawaii.edu/object/applynonfl.html
(A form-fillable link of the application will be at the bottom of this page)
- Course Schedules http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/page/checkclass
- Culinary Arts & Patisserie curriculum http://culinary.kcc.hawaii.edu/index.php/academics/certificates
- Financial Aid information http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/object/finaid.html
Most students work toward the Associate in Science degrees. Others prefer the certificate programs or choose to take one or two classes for personal enrichment. Additional information may be found in the catalog at http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/page/catalog.
You should apply as soon as possible, as registration dates are assigned by the order in which applications are received and processed. Please hand-carry to KCC’s Ilima 102, or mail your completed application (and if available, tuberculosis clearance dated within one year of the 1st day of your start term, and MMR/measles clearance) to: Admissions Office: KCC, 4303 Diamond Head Road, Honolulu, HI 96816. For tips on applying, go to http://highschool.kcc.hawaii.edu.
The following are required to register for courses:
- COMPLETED application received by KCC’s Admissions Office
- Tuberculosis clearance dated no earlier than ONE YEAR prior to the first day of your entry term, and
- MMR (measles) clearance – For more information: http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/object/applyhealth.html
- In addition to the above requirements, active-duty Military personnel who are not Hawai`i residents must have your commanding officer sign the application, and attach a copy of your military orders to qualify for the Hawaii resident tuition rate.
Before registering for classes, please be sure you take the A.C.T. COMPASS math and English placement test. Without these scores, registration will be a bit more challenging. (Does not apply to students who have completed a transferable level math or English course at another college.) For more on TRANSFER CREDITS: http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/object/transfercredits.html
Our American Culinary Federation apprenticeship program lets you work for pay at KCC’s food service outlets for three years, learning on-the-job skills necessary for job placement. Apprentices are classroom trained to supplement the culinary skills. For information on the ACF Apprenticeship program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For non-credit program information, please email email@example.com .
Tuition rates can be found at http://www.hawaii.edu/finaid/tuition/html (view Community College “low rate”, rates subject to change without notice) You must also purchase uniforms and knives, both available from the KCC Bookstore by the first day of your cooking or baking laboratory class. View uniform and cutlery pricing at http://www.bookstore.hawaii.edu/uhkcc/SiteText.aspx?id=9135. KCC students must purchase the appropriate textbooks each semester.
On- and off-campus housing information is available at: http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu/object/housing.html
Once your application has been processed & all HOLDs cleared, please take the Compass placement test . Upon receiving test scores, you are then welcomed to contact me for an in-office advising appointment. Prior to completing these steps, you may email Lmaehara@hawaii.edu with questions.
We look forward to welcoming you into our program!
Associate Professor and Culinary Arts Program Counselor, Certified Hospitality Educator
Kapi`olani Community College, an American Culinary Federation accredited program